These fluffy, light, flavorful pancakes are a CIB family favorite and fun to make. They have a very light and spongy consistency unlike traditional pancakes, and they are so delicious that everyone in your home will want the last one!
6 egg whites
3.5 oz ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp grated lime zest (from 3 limes)
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
- Place 6 egg whites into mixing bowl. Using mixer, whip into meringue. Set aside.
- Combine flour and sugar in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in large bowl: ricotta cheese, vanilla, milk, lemon rind, lime juice, melted butter, and vegetable oil. Whisk well.
- Slowly add flour and sugar mixture to wet ingredients. Whisk well.
- Gently fold meringue into the mix using a spatula.
- Preheat your cast iron skillet on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter onto skillet.
- Cook on low heat for 3 minutes, turning once for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of powdered sugar, maple syrup, butter, lime zest, honey.