Our family loves the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.
Each time I see the characters Ruth and Idgy take a bite of those fried green tomatoes my mouth waters.
Most people don’t think of fried green tomatoes as a side dish, but it’s a family favorite of ours. This is a very simple, tasty recipe.
Stay tuned for the full video on our YouTube channel, as well as our kid-friendly illustrated recipe card!
4 green tomatoes
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Slow Cooked Butter Skillet Toast bread crumbs (download the recipe card at castironbabe.com!)
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp pepper to taste
Spicy Dipping Sauce:
4 tbsp mayo or greek yogurt
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Low warm a 10” cast iron skillet with ½” vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes into 1/2” slices
- Create your assembly line in three small/flat open containers
- Mix flour and salt for step one
- Whisk eggs and milk together for step two
- Mix bread crumbs and cornmeal salt and pepper to taste for step three
- Now crank up the heat to high for 2 minutes and then to a medium high
- Dip tomato slices in flour/salt
- Dip tomato slices in egg/milk mixture
- Dip tomato slices in bread crumb mixture
- Slowly lower each slice into the skillet making sure to give them plenty of room to cook evenly
- Cook until desired brown is on outer edges and then flip for a bit longer until they are YOUR perfect brown
- Drain on paper towels and dab of extra oil
Cool slightly before eating. They are so darned good!
Serve with Spicy Dipping Sauce or ranch dressing is always good. You can even go Italian by adding a dash of marinara and a fresh basil leaf on top.
Savor the flavors and remember to take the time to really enjoy your creations!